Thursday, February 21, 2008

My new pet...

I've decided that having a blog is like having a pet. I already have five kids, and every time they ask for a pet, I point to their one year-old brother and tell them that we have him instead of a pet. I'm not romantic about pets, I know they take a LOT of work and commitment, even the ones that are supposedly low-maintenance. Now that I have reluctantly joined the blogites, I realize that every mess my kids make or every funny thing they say or do, or every annoying or redeeming quality they have, or every beautiful or weird place I see (I know, English majors, this is a run-on sentence at its worst) I have to remember to put it on "the blog". Obviously I don't actually put it on the blog, though, I just wake up in the middle of the night mad at myself that I didn't put it on the blog. In the analogy of a pet, it's like worrying about cleaning up the you-know-what, or checking the food and water bowl, or taking it for a walk regularly. I won't tell you what happened to some of the pets I had when I was younger, but look, my kids are still alive and healthy (for now). And even though (I know, English majors, avoid starting sentences with the word "and") I'm not an uberblogger, this site will stay alive. I know there would be a huge backlash if I cut you guys off now. So even if I don't document every brilliant thought I have, or dirty diaper I change, or injury I heal, or load of laundry I do, or romantic gesture by my husband, I will push down those competitive urges to blog like no one has ever blogged before, and just be content with mediocrity. Now when my kids ask for a puppy or a goldfish, instead of pointing to Jason, I'll tell them mommy already has a pet- named Blog.

9 comments:

Carlie and Ryan Skinner said...

if you ever feel guilty about not wanting this "pet" anyomore just go to disneyland and maybe dad will give "Blog" away like he did our dog Annie...just kidding!! keep the posts coming!

Patria said...

Aloha Steph! How fun to find your comment! I've loved linking up with all the cousins. Enjoy the blogosphere- what keeps me motivated is family far away and knowing that I can also print my blog into a book/ family journal. Awesome that you're into yoga and you have 5 beautiful kids! There's no way to capture all the wonderful moments on a blog- but just throw something out time to time and everyone will love it. Your blog is already darling. Love, Patria

Lynds said...

Steph, your blog is hungry and has not one to play with. you need to spend more time with it.

Nichole Barney said...

Steph I am totally with you on the blog thing. Some people are die hard and I wont ever be but it is fun to get glimpses of peoples lives whenever and whatever it is. We need to get together one of these days. I will for sure add you! it is so fun to read about your family! I can use lots of boy tips if you have any. They take over at my house too!

Michelle said...

This might come across strange :) BUT... I came across your blog today and had to leave a comment. I went to HS w/ Troy and the other day, I saw that he posted something about HUSD on evtrib.com. We live in the same district and were around for the "vote" to consolidate into Gilbert. I was terribly disappointed when it didn't happen. SO... with that being said, if you guys ever think you want to start something to see if we can change things, please let me know. I'll help in any way I can. I have 5 kids, too. And my oldest starts HS next year. Scary.

Carlie and Ryan Skinner said...

steph!!! micheal buble is coming to town. lets go!!

Nellie said...

Hey, Stephanie -- I just thought I'd say hello -- it has been forever, but I talked to Ash the other day and she was all proud because she had email. Hilarious! I hope you and the fam are well -- you look as fabulous as ever -- really!

Shawni said...

Hey Steph, I love this blog! Released from Primary? And tears were shed? I'm not sure whether to congratulate or commiserate with you. I'm sure you left big shoes to fill. I do miss Primary too though, and I get to be in there with this little boy I help and I really love it.

I did like The Alchemist so much that I made Dave read it with me...it was just along the lines of some stuff we had been talking about recently. It kind of petered out at the end, but it had a really good message. More a parable kind of book than a novel.

What did you mean about getting kicked off the blog?

We really do need to get together soon. Are you guys going to be around for spring break?

Shawni said...

Oh, and i forgot to say I LOVE the yoga pose, and I'm very impressed about the cherry stem. Now that takes serious talent.